Is there a [postcard] in the bag for me?
Alright, so that song might be a bit outdated, but in the world of digital e-mail, sometimes getting "snail mail" sends happy vibes through our systems - especially when they are postcards from some cool faraway destination. Even if you harbor a wee bit of jealousy when you read those words, "Wish You Were Here," you also know that someone took a minute to think of you - and that's pretty cool! Now, there are so many ways to spread the postcard fever - and some don't require a physical stamp!
If you like to send postcards, here's 5 tips to keep handy when you want to write a simple note to your friends and family to give them some love while you're away on vacay.
1. Bring pre-addressed labels - Why create a separate list to take with you when you can have all the names and addresses at your disposal? You can affix them directly to the postcard and send them on their merry way, without fumble (and you won't accidentally forget to send one to your mama!)
2. Use the hotel services - Chances are, the hotel you are staying at will have a business center that provide stamps. Some will gladly send your postcard for you as well. Remember to factor in some extra cash to pay for these items - or you'll spend your time chasing down a post office in a foreign country. Prices may vary, so be sure to ask!
3. Find an app for that - Smartphones give you instant gratification & personalization - you can capture your memories and turn them into postcards! Snap a photo, upload it, and then pay for postage to send your creation to anyone in your contact list with the click of a button. Voila! A personalized photo postcard from your own point of view! Check out apps like Postino or Shoot It for iPhone and Android users - and start sending!
4. Buy in bulk - Many gift shops offer discounts on postcards when you buy them in bundles. Find like-minded friends who want to buy postcards and split the costs. You're bound to find postcards with a lot of different scenic shots that reflect each of your personalities.
5. Write what you feel & send them right away - It's no fun to send postcards when you return from your trip before they even arrive at your family or friends' mailboxes. Make sure that if you're wandering out and about on your fabulous vacation and you want to send a postcard, make it a priority item on your agenda. Not only will your friends really wish they were there, but it will encourage you to take a moment out of your day to pop into a cafe or stop and take a minute and soak in the scenery and really capture your euphoria of being on the trip of a lifetime!
Oh, and don't forget the little guys! You can always send a postcard here to the Contiki team to tell us how much fun you're having! We'd love the snail mail! (wink, wink)